Beginning to Intermediate Photography at the Polk Museum of Art
Sundays, October 14 – November 18
Skill Level: Beginning to Intermediate
Polk Museum of Art
Fee: $145 Members, $185 Non-Members
*REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Sunday, September 30, 2018
Any registrations submitted after the registration deadline includes a $35 late fee.
Whether you are brand new to photography or have taken this class before, this revised course will teach you the technical skills to use your digital camera. You will also learn to take better photos with your mobile phone. This class will teach you how to take photos of landscapes, portraiture, sports, night photography and many other subjects and techniques. Topic covered in the class include:
• Tips for photographing people, landscapes, pets, fireworks, wildlife, etc.
• Controlling exposure
• Buttons and features of most digital cameras
• Advanced camera features of your mobile phone
• Photo editing and photo organizing software
Register for the class HERE or call the Polk Museum of Art Education office at (863) 688-5423.
A Digital SLR or mirrorless camera is recommended for the class, but advanced point & shoot cameras will also work provided they have a full manual mode. If you are looking to purchase a new camera, check out PC Magazine's Editor's Choice Award Winners but feel free to contact me with questions.
The only accessory you need to start with is a good tripod. I recommend Manfrotto tripods and I would purchase them at Marshall's Camera in Auburndale, FL so you can see how tall and how strong it is (check store hours before you go there). You can take the class without a tripod, but you will have to observe instead of participate on some of the exercises.
Note: Class time is primarily lecture, learning new techniques, looking at examples and learning your camera settings. We do not have much class time to go take photos. To get the most out of the class, take lots of photos throughout the week to practice what you learn in class. The more photos you take at home, the faster you learn!
Feel free to contact me with further questions.
How to use Lightroom (Coming Soon)
This workshop will focus on workflow, starting from the moment you finish taking a photo. We will learn all the basics of organizing thousands of photos as well as making them look their best. The workshop will cover the following:
• Setting up your folders and Lightroom catalog
• Organizing thousands of photos and finding them later
• Importing photos after a shoot
• Developing them so they look their best
• Using presets and syncing to save hours when developing photos
• Sending photos to Photoshop from within Lightroom for more advanced editing
• Exporting the finished photos for use on the web, print or commercial publications
• Printing, either on your own printer, the local drug store or a high end color lab
• Backing up your photos
Students are encouraged to bring their own laptop with Lightroom installed and follow along.